For months I have been trying to get the Cambodia side of my travel agency website perfect… there’s so much that goes on behind the scenes. Finding pictures, re-sizing pictures, writing, deleting, writing, deleting. The list goes on.
But one of the hardest challenges is finding the right pictures to use. While I have a SLR camera and love to snap away, it’s amazing how my prized pictures (that I was so proud of at the time) scream amateur when they go on a professional website. So instead, I have been scratching my head and asking people nicely if they can use their pretty pictures.
But the other day I discovered Shutterstock, a photo library, that for a nominal fee will allow you to download all the prettiest pictures in the world and then legally use them how you please. I cannot tell you how much this excited me (I know, I need to get out more).
And so today, I wanted to share with you my top 10 pictures of Cambodia, as found through my lovely new photo library and thus, sadly none are taken by me. But still, I can’t think of a nicer way to spend a Friday afternoon than gazing longingly at pretty pictures of Cambodia. So here we go, in no particular order, may I present pretty Cambodia:
1) Bayon Castle. I adore the way the red leaves here have just given a completely different look to Bayon Temple in Siem Reap, which is known and normally photographed for its incredible intricately carved faces.
2) The little Girl. Just look at her face… adorable. Children in Cambodia are some of the cutest children in the world and this one is no exception.
3) The Tuk tuk. In Cambodia you can get anywhere in a tuk tuk, with the wind in your hair this is the ultimate chariot choice for me. And what’s more the smiling tuk-tuk drivers are some of the nicest ‘taxi drivers’ in the world…
4) Angkor Wat. No picture collection of Cambodia would be complete without a picture of the building that really put it on the map. Angkor Wat is the largest religious structure in the world and it is like nothing else in the world… I particularly love this shot with the elephant and water reflection.
5) Thoughtful Monk. One of my favourite things to do in Cambodia is monk-watching. I love watching them stroll the streets, use their mobile phones or sit at temples and look beautiful.
6) The Royal Palace, Phnom Penh. I love Phnom Penh, it’s a bit gritty, urban and real but has such soul and character. The Royal Palace is the shiny gold in the urban sprawl and I think this picture captures that perfectly.
7) Little boy on the boat. Cambodia has such fantastic river routes. I took the local boat from Battambang to Siem Reap and what it lacked in comfort it made up for in fascinating views of river life. We went past so many boats like this, that were in the hands of a little boy or an old man going about their day. Just magic.
8) The Aspara Dancer’s. The traditional Khmer Aspara dancing is beautiful and memorising, each move seems so well thought out. If only I could also move like that….
9) Koh Rong Samloem. Who would have known that Cambodia had beaches that rivalled those of Thailand?! When I discovered the island of Koh Rong Samloem I did a little dance for joy – there is no wi-fi but just miles of gorgeous coastline like this (for accommodation options click here).
10) One of my favourite places to unwind is Kep on the south coast. There may not be a beach here but it is the best sunset spots in the whole world, and trust me that is no exaggeration.
So there you have it, what a ridiculously photogenic country! Where is your most picture-perfect country?
Have a lovely weekend folks, wherever you may be on our little globe.
PS If you would like me to help organise your trip to Cambodia then please contact me here or visit my travel agency page for more details.